We have a dedicated research room packed full of primary sources and archive material to help you with your research into Dales life and history.
Whether you are undertaking research for your own interest such as investigating your family tree, as part of a school, college or university course, or for any other reason, our research room is available from 10:00 to 17:00, seven days a week.
There are also Museum volunteers on hand in the research room every Monday and Wednesday between 10:00 and 16:00 to assist with any enquiries you may have.
Much of the research material is housed on open shelving and is available to use at any time without the need for prior booking. Other resources and archives however, such as the Macfie and Calvert Archive or material from our collection, are located in secure storage. If you would like to access these, please contact us to book an appointment.
Research room summary
- Open Monday to Sunday, 10:00 to 17:00.
- Volunteers available to assist every Monday and Wednesday, 10:00 to 16:00.
- Appointments not necessary for 'open shelved' research material.
- Archive and census material.
- Primary sources for local history research.
- Macfie and Calvert Archive to view by appointment.
- For collection research opportunities please contact the Museum.
- Internet access.
- Microfilm and microfiche readers to give you the maximum access to historical documents in our collection such as maps.
- Refreshment room.